The 2018 Giro d’Italia begins May 4. This year’s Giro d’Italia is the 101st cycle race through Italy. In a special start it will begin in Israel. The first 4 stages will peddle through Israel before heading to Italy. Stage 1 begins in Jerusalem. The final stage of the 2018 Giro d’Italia is May 27 in Rome. This is 13th time the Giro d’Italia started outside Italy.
After Israel’s 4 stages the race turns to Italy on May 8. This stage begins in Catania on Italy’s mediterranean island Sicily. From there it travels through Sicily for 3 stages. Then Stage 7 begins in Calabria in the toe of the Italian boot. The stage travels up the Calabrian coast.
The 2018 Giro d’Italia includes stages through popular tourist destinations including:
- Stage 11, May 16 beginning in Assisi. This stage will pass through the beautiful medieval town of Spello.
- Stage 12, May 17 travels up the Adriatic Coast from Le Marche to Emilia Romagna.
- Stage 13, May 18 begins in the beautiful town of Ferrara in the Emilia Romagna region
- Stage 14 May 19 begins the big mountain climbs in northern Italy. The stage begins in San Vito al Tagliamento a dynamic and lively town, located in the Veneto-Friuli’s plain in the province of Pordenone. Its origin dates back to pre-Roman and Roman settlements and it has noble historical, cultural and artistic traditions.
- Stage 16, May 22 offers two sophisticated northern Italy vacation destinations. The race departs from Trento. It ends in Rovereto. In Trento Roman treasures and Renaissance splendor live side by side in its squares, streets and buildings, making every corner a unique wonder. Trento’s geographical location make it a bridge between Italian culture and Central European tradition. The underground archeological site of Roman Tridentum, the Buonconsiglio Castle and the MUSE, the Science Museum designed by Renzo Piano are only a few examples of the wonderful places you can visit. The city offers also urban trekking itineraries, cycle paths and the 16,3 km long legendary climb Charly Gaul, which leads from Trento to Monte Bondone at 1651 meters of altitude. Rovereto is set among hills and vineyards, at the center of the Adige Valley, along the main connecting road between Verona and Trento. Close to Lake Garda, being an old centre of silk production, it has a sophisticated cultural offer in terms of museums and festivals, palaces and monuments. But it is also a heaven for cyclists and a skiing resort with tracks on the slopes of the Brentonico highland.
- Stage 21, May 27 peddles through Rome. The capital city of the Italian Republic is the most intensively populated city in Italy. It is full of monuments and price art. The winner of the 2018 Giro d’Italia will be crowned on the Imperial Forums in front of the Colosseum on Sunday, May 27.
For more about the 2018 Giro d’Italia race routes and stages click here.
For more information about Italy vacations visit https://ItalianTourism.us