The 9-Day Sicily Escorted Tour package is a comprehensive tour of Sicily’s sightseeing highlights. Sicily is a fascinating Mediterranean island. It is located at the crossroads of history’s greatest civilizations. It’s long and rich history lends itself to the escorted tour experience. You’ll be escorted around the entire island of Sicily visiting Agrigento, Catania, Cefalu, Erice, Marsala, Monreale, Mt. Etna, Palermo, Ragusa, Siracusa, and Taormina. The daily Sicily trip itinerary explores the mixture of cultures that colonized Sicily over the centuries. Sicily’s location is manifest in its architecture, music, food, culinary traditions, and culture. Families, friends, groups, and singles will all enjoy history’s great civilizations coming to life on this 9-Day Sicily escorted tour. Submit the form or call 800.227.1577 for the price of the Sicily escorted tour with airfare from your preferred departure city and for more tour information.
9-Day Sicily Escorted Tour Itinerary Map
Sicily Escorted Tour Sightseeing Highlights:
- Discover Norman architecture in Cefalu, Monreale, and Palermo
- Explore the ancient Greeks in Agrigento, Taormina, and Siracusa
- Siracusa walk through the Paradise Quarry gardens, listen to the acoustics in the mysterious ear of Dionysius and visit the Greek amphitheatre.
- Siracusa: Explore the ancient streets and delightful squares of Ortygia.
- Visit Sicily’s Colosseum in Siracusa
- Agrigento: Join a local expert who will guide you through the Temples of Juno, Concorde and Hercules, some of the best preserved Greek temples in the world.
- See the world’s finest Byzantine mosaics in Monreale
- Stroll around authentic Sicilian towns like Erice
- In Ragusa learn about Sicilian Baroque architecture
- In Marsala taste the famous wine and see the salt flats and windmills
- Visit the Greek and Roman Gods in Agrigento’s Valley of the Temples
- Taormina: Set on a cliff, open to the sky, take your seats in the ancient Greek Theatre and enjoy the view through the crumbling arches to snowy Mount Etna with a Local Expert.
- Cefalu: See the Cathedral and walk down to the medieval stone fountain in the old fishermen’s quarter.
- Palermo: See Teatro Massimo, Quattro Canti Square, Fontana Pretoria and Palermo Cathedral.
- Erice: Explore the quiet alleys of this ancient walled town –
- Taormina: Visit the courtyard of Palazzo Corvaja. Stroll along Corso Umberto to Piazza IX Aprile.
- Trapani Salt Marshes: Stop at one of the restored windmills and learn about the ancient process of salt extraction.
Glorious Sicily Tour Includes:
- 7 nights luxury accommodations in Catania, Ragusa, Palermo, Taormina.
- Meals: Breakfast daily, 4 dinners, 1 lunch.
- Inclusive Sicily tour includes airport transfers, tours, entrance fees, and meals per itinerary.
- Palermo: There is an array of restaurants and cuisines to choose from on your Dine-Around evening.
- Erice: At a local farm, sample the olive oil produced on the island with a tasting of Sicilian wine and a light lunch.
- Taormina: Enjoy a Celebration Dinner with wine, reflecting some of Sicily’s top culinary heritage.
- Enjoy the unique comfort of luxury air-conditioned 40 seat coach with extended leg room and on-board restroom. It’s business class comfort.
- Personal radio headsets, gives you the freedom to wander during visits to famous highlights without missing any of your local expert’s fascinating insights and commentaries.
- Baggage handling everywhere, with seamless and prompt delivery to your door at every hotel.
- Hotel and restaurant tips included – you’ll never have to worry about how much to give, nor search for foreign currency. Plus we include all taxes and porterage charges at hotels.
- Stay connected with friends and family with our complimentary coach and hotel WiFi.
Sicily Escorted Tour Accommodations:
- Catania 1 Night – Una Palace
- Ragusa 1 night – Mediterraneo Palace – Norma Vacanze
- Palermo 3 nights – Best Western Ai Cavalieri
- Taormina 2 nights – Hilton Giardini Naxos
Sicily Optional Tours:
Below are examples of optional tours. Exact timing will be confirmed along the tour.
THE OPEN AIR MARKET AND THE CAPUCHIN CATACOMBS
Experience the rich colours this fascinating city affords in the bustling open-air market. Crammed in the narrow alleys of the Old Town we discover the Vucceria – with its gorgeous arrays of fruit, produce and flowers and the animated haggling between vendors and shoppers. It hasn’t changed much since Phoenician times! Then proceed to what has to be the most unique – and certainly macabre – attraction of Palermo: the Capuchin Catacombs. Eight thousand mummies – dressed in their 18th century finery – are perfectly preserved and on display in a labyrinth of corridors grouped according to class or profession – even a hallway of Brides!
SEAFOOD SPECTACULAR IN THE BAY OF PALERMO
The word “panorama” derives from the ancients’ name for Palermo and you will understand why on this magnificent seaside drive along the ridge of Monte Pellegrino – sacred to Sicilians as the burial place of patron saint Rosalia. We travel down to the perfectly horseshoe shaped Bay of Sferacavallo where you join the locals for a typical seafood feast in one of the area’s finest hostelries. You will savour this multi-course dining extravaganza!
GUIDED TOUR OF RAGUSA IBLA
A visit to the spectacularly situated old town of Ragusa with a local guide. The original town was destroyed in an earthquake in 1693 and consequently rebuilt. It has now achieved UNESCO World Heritage Site status due to its beautiful Baroque Churches and squares.
DINNER IN RAGUSA
The spirit and atmosphere of Sicily oozes from every corner of this Island (Trinacria), its cuisine expresses the multitude of invasions and influences, this meal will give you a taste of the uniqueness of this land. Fish is a must (there is a meat alternative), showered by the flagrance of local wine, Ragusa in its wonderful setting, makes this a special evening.
MT ETNA SAVOCA AND THE GODFATHER
Enter the rustic village life of Sicily with our local guide as we visit Savoca, the town also chosen by Frances F Coppola for his movie “The Godfather”. Enjoy the stunning views and visit Vitelli’s bar, used in one of the scenes of the film, famous for its tasty, ice cold, “granite di limone”. Then up Mt. Etna, the famous active volcano – the highest in Europe. You will have time to photograph the spectacular scenery before our return to Taormina.
Sicily Escorted Tour Day-by-Day Itinerary
Travel through Mediterranean history meeting the ancient Greeks, ancient Romans, Byzantines, Normans, Carthaginians, crusaders, Bourbons, and Ottomans on this comprehensive all-inclusive Sicily escorted tour. This escorted Sicily tour provides an in-depth and authentic Sicily vacation experience. The day-by-day itinerary provides time for your expert Sicily tour guide to bring you through its rich history and culture.
Day 1 – Depart USA
Typically flights from the United States fly overnight to Italy. You’ll be served dinner and breakfast on board the flight. Your final destination in Italy is Catania on the island of Sicily.
Day 2 – Catania
Upon arrival in Catania you will be transferred to your luxury hotel. Spend some time relaxing. Then late this afternoon you’ll join your tour director for a stroll about town. Along the way you’ll see Catania’s Duomo, its central square, and the Palazzo Senatorio. The stroll is followed by a welcome reception and dinner.
Day 3 – Siracusa: The Most Beautiful Ancient Greek City
Yes it is true. The most beautiful of all the ancient Greek cities is located in Italy. Siracusa , Syracuse in English, is located in southwest Sicily. Founded about 800 BC, you will walk through time with your local Sicily tour guide. Visit sites that are known by mythology buffs and interesting to all travelers alike. Siracusa’s ancient Greek amphitheater has a capacity of 20,000 people. After your guided tour you’ll have time to enjoy Siracusa’s antique city, full of palaces and narrow streets. After you’ll continue on to Ragusa where you’ll stay for the evening. You’ll have time to enjoy stroll around the town while enjoying the famous Sicilian sea views. You’ll be staying the night here so you’ll have time for a classic Sicilian passeggiata. Then enjoy an authentic Sicilian dinner at a local trattoria.
Day 4 – Ragusa and Explore the Valley of the Temples
This morning you’ll awake in Ragusa famous for the Sicilian Baroque architecture. Then you’ll continue on to Agrigento to explore the Valley of the Temples. At this site multiple Greek Temples stand. Here you’ll learn more about the ancient Greeks on Sicily during the Magna Grecia era. The you’ll continue on to Palermo.
Day 5 – Palermo: Discover the Normans
This morning there is the option to explore the bustling Ballaro market crammed in the narrow alleys of the Old Town. Then you’ll tour Palermo with a local guide who is an art history expert. You’ll see all of Palermo’s sightseeing highlights including baroque Quattro Canti Square and glimpse the beauties of the ‘Fountain of Shame’. Visit Palermo Cathedral, a mixture of styles having been altered many times over the years. Along the way the mixing of architectural and artistic styles that is Sicily’s culture wll become evident. Then, after the guided tour of Palermo, you’ll take the short drive to Monreale to visit the Cathedral. Inside its gold mosaics are the finest examples of Arab-Norman art. This afternoon enjoy some time at leisure back in Palermo. This evening your dinner is included at a local trattoria. Enjoy an authentic Sicilian dinner among locals in Palermo.
Day 6 – Explore Erice
In the morning, wind your way up to the charming hilltop walled town of Erice. Walk through the labyrinth of quiet alleyways, past medieval churches and enjoy sea views from the gardens next to the Castle of Venus! At a farm in Trapani, sample some of the freshest olive oil produced on the island and savour a tasting of Sicilian wine, followed by a light lunch of delicious local produce. Back in Palermo the evening is free.
Day 7 – Cefalu & Taormina
After breakfast, drive to the quaint fishing town of Cefalu. The town’s imposing Cathedral was erected to fulfil a vow made by the Norman King Roger II. Stroll down to the medieval stone fountain and seek out the Gothic arch of the Porta Marina for a picture perfect view of the little harbour. Maybe try the restaurants down by the beach before continuing on, past the toe of Italy to the Taormina Riviera.
Day 8 – Taormina Escorted Tour
Your hotel faces east, so early risers may experience what D.H. Lawrence christened the ‘dawn coast of Europe’. After breakfast, perhaps take an optional drive through the vineyards to Mt Etna, Europe’s largest volcano plus a stop in Savoca, a typical hill village, chosen for the filming of The Godfather. Later, transfer to the old town of Taormina that clings to the side of Mount Tauro, overlooking the Ionian Sea and the snowy peak of Mt. Etna. Join a Local Expert for a visit to the Greek Theatre, graced with the most spectacular of backdrops. Stroll on to the tiny courtyard of the Palazzo Corvaja, Taormina’s grandest building. In the evening, rejoice with your friends at a finalé Celebration Dinner, complete with wine.
Day 9 – Sicily tour ends.
The Sicily escorted tour ends this morning. This tour may be extended with a three-day tour of the island of Malta.
For more Sicily vacation options click Sicily tours packages.